Sunsail Start Yachting
Sunsail’s two-day RYA Start Yachting course provides a short beginners' introduction to sail cruising and requires no previous sailing experience. This practical course is a great way to get a feel for sailing, and will teach you the fundamentals of how to steer a yacht under power, raise the sails and handle ropes. It also imparts awareness of safety on board and instructs students in the man overboard manoeuvre.
On completion, the RYA Start Yachting course awards a qualification counting towards Competent Crew qualification for those who wish to take their sailing further.
- Basic knowledge of sea terms, parts of a boat, her rigging and sails.
- Understand the bowline
- Can tie the following: figure of eight, round turn and two half hitches
- Has experienced sailing a yacht on all points of sail. Can steer a yacht under sail or power.
Rules of the road
- Can keep an efficient look out at sea.
- Knows where to obtain a weather forecast.
Man overboard recovery
- Understands the action to be taken to recover a man overboard, and the effect of cold-water shock on a casualty.
Clothing and equipment
- Understands and complies with the rules for the wearing of safety harnesses, lifejackets and personal buoyancy aids.
Emergency equipment and precautions
- Is aware of hazards on board a yacht.
- Knows the action to be taken in the event of an emergency.
2 of 2 berths available
Apply for berth
Introduce yourself to the skipper to let them know about your sailing background.
You won't be charged yet